Vietnam sees "hot growth" in catfish exports to China
News 18/04/2017 - Quách Trúc
HANOI, March 14 (Xinhua) -- Vietnam's catfish exports have experienced a "hot growth" of 24.2 percent-88.7 percent in the past five years, official statistics showed on Tuesday.
In 2016, the country exported 304.7 million U.S. dollars worth of catfish to Chinese market, up 4.17 times over five years ago, reported local Vietnam Economic Times (VET) on Tuesday.
The fact that Vietnam's catfish export revenue to China in 2016 almost doubled that of 2015 signals an opportunity and a good compensation as local firms are countering obstacles in other markets like the United States and the European Union (EU).
The demand of catfish consumption in restaurants, hotels, schools, companies in China is hiking, said VET.
China is seen as a potential alternative market for Vietnamese catfish exporters in the coming years, said local analysts. At the same time, local firms also said Chinese market possesses a plenty of potentials and opportunities. Catfish prices in Chinese market stood higher than those in the EU sometimes.
Accordingly, the National Agro-Forestry-Fisheries Quality Assurance Department under Vietnam's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will grant certificates for export batches.
"It is obvious that huge consumption in China's market is opening up more opportunities for Vietnamese catfish exporting companies and makes up a gap resulting from difficulties in other markets," said Truong Dinh Hoe, general secretary of Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers.
Keywords: Vietnam's catfish exports catfish consumption Catfish prices Chinese market National Agro-Forestry-Fisheries Quality Assurance Department Truong Dinh Hoe general secretary of Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers atfish export revenue
Find out more
- Developing Domestic Seafood Market (23/11/2017)
- Tra fish exports to US on course (26/09/2017)
- Aquatic products expected to rake in 9 billion USD by 2020 (26/09/2017)
- Pangasius Of Vietnam (14/09/2017)
- Cargill opens tenth aqua feed line in Vietnam (04/05/2017)
- Vinh Hoan calls for ASMI, NSC-style marketing collaboration (04/05/2017)
- Vietnam Emerged as Major Market for Indian Shrimp Exports in 2016 (24/04/2017)
- Ambitious national plan to boost the shrimp industry (24/04/2017)
- Vinh Hoan sets sights on ‘formal’ pangasius trade with Chinese seafood giant (18/04/2017)
- Trading seafood successfully with China market (17/04/2017)