Vietnam sees "hot growth" in catfish exports to China
News 18/04/2017 - Quách Trúc
HANOI, March 14 (Xinhua) -- Vietnam's catfish exports have experienced a "hot growth" of 24.2 percent-88.7 percent in the past five years, official statistics showed on Tuesday.
In 2016, the country exported 304.7 million U.S. dollars worth of catfish to Chinese market, up 4.17 times over five years ago, reported local Vietnam Economic Times (VET) on Tuesday.
The fact that Vietnam's catfish export revenue to China in 2016 almost doubled that of 2015 signals an opportunity and a good compensation as local firms are countering obstacles in other markets like the United States and the European Union (EU).
The demand of catfish consumption in restaurants, hotels, schools, companies in China is hiking, said VET.
China is seen as a potential alternative market for Vietnamese catfish exporters in the coming years, said local analysts. At the same time, local firms also said Chinese market possesses a plenty of potentials and opportunities. Catfish prices in Chinese market stood higher than those in the EU sometimes.
Accordingly, the National Agro-Forestry-Fisheries Quality Assurance Department under Vietnam's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will grant certificates for export batches.
"It is obvious that huge consumption in China's market is opening up more opportunities for Vietnamese catfish exporting companies and makes up a gap resulting from difficulties in other markets," said Truong Dinh Hoe, general secretary of Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers.
Keywords: Vietnam's catfish exports catfish consumption Catfish prices Chinese market National Agro-Forestry-Fisheries Quality Assurance Department Truong Dinh Hoe general secretary of Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers atfish export revenue
Find out more
- Young’s launches pollock Gastro products as whitefish prices rise (15/03/2018)
- Trident: Demand for pollock fillets will be 40,000t over supply this year (15/03/2018)
- HOMEMARKETPLACEPRICESSPECIESCOMPANIESDOWNSTREAMUPSTREAMBLOGSJOBSREPORTSNEWSLETTERS PRICESCOMPANIESNORTH AMERICA Alaska asks for disaster funds for Pacific cod quota cut (15/03/2018)
- US SIMP for shrimp, catfish advocates to lose champion in Cochran (12/03/2018)
- Vietnamese pangasius clears USDA’s first hurdle, but two more ahead (08/03/2018)
- Vietnam files WTO complaint on US pangasius inspections (28/02/2018)
- Pangasius raw material prices still creeping up (22/02/2018)
- Ag economist: Cheaper grains means more competition in protein market (31/01/2018)
- US regulatory pressure to push more pangasius to China (31/01/2018)
- Bundrant: Trident’s ‘Wild Alaska pollock revolution’ will gather pace in 2018 (24/01/2018)