HOMEMARKETPLACEPRICESSPECIESCOMPANIESDOWNSTREAMUPSTREAMBLOGSJOBSREPORTSNEWSLETTERS PRICESCOMPANIESNORTH AMERICA Alaska asks for disaster funds for Pacific cod quota cut
News 15/03/2018 - Nguyễn Trí Tín
Alaska's governor and lieutenant governor have asked the US federal government to declare the decline in the Gulf of Alaska's Pacific cod stocks a federal disaster, radio station KTOO reported.
Governor Bill Walker and lieutenant governor Byron Mallott sent a letter to the Department of Commerce asking for compensation for harvesters.
Total allowable catches (TACs) of Pacific cod in the US Gulf of Alaska fell steeply in 2018 after a 80% reduction has been called for by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC).
For the gulf TAC, which was set at 64,442 metric tons in 2017, the NPFMC has said should be set at 13,096t in 2018.
Last year, the council, which sets TAC recommendations for the species, had heard from biologists alarmed by research surveys that found steep drops in the gulf Pacific cod biomass. Now instead of the gulf’s 72,272t acceptable biological catch (ABC) first predicted for 2018, biologists with the NPFMC cut that prediction to only 18,000t.
As the ABC, the upper limit of the range of a stock that can be fished, guides the TAC, most in industry anticipated steep cuts.
TAC cuts of 16%, putting the 2018 TAC there at 188,136t, were also recommended for the larger Bering Sea Pacific cod fishery. However, the TAC for the Aleutian Islands stayed stable year-on-year at 15,695t.
In 2017, around three-fourths of Alaska's total Pacific cod TAC came from the Bering Sea fishery, another fifth from the gulf and the rest from the Aleutian Islands.
Find out more
- ‘Buy American’ provision survives in US Farm Bill, big win for Alaskan pollock (12/12/2018)
- VASEP: VN Pangasius producers should plan to face China farming (11/12/2018)
- EU falls behind ASEAN region in pangasius imports (02/04/2018)
- Pangasius raw material prices reach highest-ever levels (02/04/2018)
- McCain, Shaheen ask USTR to support stripping USDA of catfish authority (23/03/2018)
- Vinh Hoan pangasius goes into Middle East’s first discount retailer (22/03/2018)
- Young’s launches pollock Gastro products as whitefish prices rise (15/03/2018)
- Trident: Demand for pollock fillets will be 40,000t over supply this year (15/03/2018)
- US SIMP for shrimp, catfish advocates to lose champion in Cochran (12/03/2018)
- Vietnamese pangasius clears USDA’s first hurdle, but two more ahead (08/03/2018)